Monsoon is a beautiful season with rains, fog and clouds filled sky. It is the season of love, an inspiration for poets and authors, a season meant for exploring green spreads across the country. But monsoon is also the season of viral infection, cough and cold and bugs! Insects in all sizes become a constant irritation and can also be the cause of many diseases.
So in this article we are going to talk about simple home remedies that you can practically employ in your home for a clean, insect-less home. These remedies are easy to use and you may combine them for superior results.
- Peppermint: It is the best deterrent for bugs. Believe it or not, insects (spiders in particular) don’t like the smell of peppermint. Fill a bottle with peppermint essential oil and water which will not only make the spiders go away but will also make your home smell great!
- Citrus Peels: Citrus fruits like lemon and oranges have a repellent smell. They have the same effect as peppermint. So if you don’t like the smell of one, you can choose either of lemon, orange or peppermint or use them alternatively too.
- Vinegar: Vinegar is a versatile winner in the sense that it has thousands of uses. It can also be used as a spider repellent by combining it with water and spraying it around. Take care to add the exact proportion of water or it may become diluted (hence, giving no effect) or come off as too strong a smell which may not be liked by everyone.
- Chestnuts: Chestnuts may become your best friends when fighting a war against bugs. You can just place them along the window on the ledge or the window sill to keep bugs away. Chestnuts do not get rotten easily thus, they can serve the purpose for a longer duration than other remedies suggested here.
- Essential Oils: These come in variety of options- lavender, tea tree oil, eucalyptus, neem oil etc. You have to combine this oil in lukewarm water and spray the solution around the house.
There a variety of other options available- like buying a pet which eats away the bugs, using tobacco, keeping your surrounding clean etc. These remedies may not prove 100% effective but you will see a significant drop in the bugs found in your home.
Make sure to not spray non-toxic sprays in the places that have easy access when you have small kids. Let us know if you tried anything and if they were effective in the comments below.